Name Change Announced
January 20, 2019
At our members’ meeting in June 2018, we mentioned that the elders are prayerfully considering a new name for our church.
In an effort to bring us all up to speed and on the same page, here’s a quick recap:
- In June 2017 we announced that when James MacDonald resigned from Harvest Bible Fellowship in Chicago, the operations of HBF also ceased at that time.
- A few months later, the Great Commission Collective, a family of over 100 like-minded churches – including our church plants, was established. Our church joined with the GCC in late 2017.
- Since we no longer have a relationship with the original Harvest Bible Chapel in Chicago, and Harvest Bible Fellowship does not exist, as a matter of clarity and to avoid confusion, we are planning to change our name. Many other former Harvest churches have already changed their name.
All that said, our new name is soon to officially be “Hope Bible Church Oakville” We are thankful for the Lord’s direction in this and the unity among our leadership. We love what the word “Hope” communicates.
Hope is referenced 160 times in the Bible.
We are called to:
- Rejoice in the HOPE of the glory of God (Rom 5:2)
- Rejoice in HOPE, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer (Rom 12:12)
- The Bible refers to God as the “God of HOPE” (Rom 15:13)
- The power of the Holy Spirit makes us “abound in HOPE“ (Rom 15:13)
- It’s in this HOPE that we were saved (Rom. 8:24)
Finally “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living HOPE through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,” (1 Peter 1:3)
Hope brings perspective, freedom, purpose, and life! Hope is a gift of grace from God, and therefore we love hope! Our world is desperate for hope and we are called to declare that hope to this world.
We love “Hope,” we believe the “Bible” and we are the “Church.”
So while our name is changing and you’ll see some new signs and language around, our vision remains the same… to see lives changed for the glory of God!
In the coming weeks, we will be making preparations to officially celebrate the launch of our new name in April, which is our 15th anniversary.