If you need some support please contact us to book an appointment with a counsellor. Due to current restrictions and government recommendations, all of our counselling appointments are being done online using Zoom.
What is Soul Care?
Soul Care is a ministry of the Word...
- That takes place within Christian community and fellowship, including everyday conversations, biblical counselling, Soul Care groups, classes, seminars, and conferences (Hebrews 3:13, Acts 20:20)
- That points to the glory of Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 3:18)
- That pursues heart change through the power of the Holy Spirit (2 Corinthians 3:18)
- That emphasizes the necessity of abiding in Christ (John 15:1-12)
- That speaks the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15)
- That promotes a lifestyle of repentance and faith (2 Corinthians 7:10, Hebrews 11:6)
- That exists to equip the saints for the work of the ministry (Ephesians 4:12) so that the church grows itself up in love (Ephesians 4:16), for the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31)
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I expect during my first meeting with a counsellor?
Initial meetings with counsellors are a time to share concerns and needs, and for counsellors to prayerfully discern some next steps for you. You can expect to be listened to and prayed for during your initial meeting. Counsellors may also ask follow up questions based on the pre-meeting form that you completed online. We work in teams of two so there will always be at least one counsellor and a staff member, or a counsellor-in-training in each counselling meeting.
* Please note that during this time, due to government restrictions and health considerations we are conducting all of our initial meetings and counselling meetings using Zoom
What happens after I meet with a counsellor?
After your initial meeting our team will prayerfully consider next steps for you. You will be provided with a personalized care plan that contains immediate steps and some longer term steps and suggestions. Often we share resources and videos as part of the first step and sometimes follow up meetings are recommended. We usually refer counsellees either to other ministries within the church, or to a Soul Care group (see below to learn more about Soul Care Groups).
The care plan is usually shared with you 10-14 days after your initial appointment. If you have not received your care plan within this timeframe please contact email@example.com
Will I always meet with the same counsellor?
Our Soul Care Ministry is very much a team-based approach. The counsellor you meet with for your initial meeting might be different than the counsellor you are placed with for a Soul Care group. All of our counsellors follow the same common Soul Care curriculum and bring their own approach to counselling as well. We are grateful for the diversity within our team, and the way that the Lord has equipped each counsellor to serve Him and love others. We have five counsellors who serve on staff, and we have a growing non-vocational team of counsellors who also serve in our Soul Care ministry.
We always place men with male counsellors and women with female counsellors. For couples counselling we usually provide a male and female counsellor.
Is there a fee for counselling?
We do not charge a fee for counselling or initial appointments. If you join a Hope Soul Care group you will be asked to help cover some of the costs associated with materials and resources (approximately $100). If you need help with these fees we are happy to provide assistance.
Is there a wait list for counselling?
If you are able to be flexible with your availability for appointments we are usually able to accommodate appointment requests in a timely manner. If you are only available to meet certain times and days there can sometimes be more of a wait.
Depending on the time of year, you may need to wait to start a Soul Care Group. Our groups run from October - January and March-June. If you need to wait to start a group, our counsellors provide you with some care options until you can begin the group (e.g. resources, follow up meetings, connecting with other ministries in the church).
Do I need to attend Hope Bible Church in order to meet with a counsellor?
We always meet with anyone who reaches out for an initial appointment but our ongoing care and counselling (and Soul Care Groups) are for people who attend Hope Bible Church on a regular basis.
Does Hope Bible Church offer biblical counselling for youth or children?
Yes, we do offer biblical counselling for youth in our church. Please fill out the youth application to request an initial meeting.
No, we do not typically offer biblical counselling for children, but rather, we focus on better equipping parents and caregivers.
What Is A Soul Care Group?
A Soul Care group is…
- A group made up of three to five participants and two group leaders (who are biblical counsellors).
- A group that meets weekly for approximately four months
- A group that focuses primarily on four things: praying for one another, sharing openly with one another, mutual accountability and encouragement, as well as walking through a 16-week Bible-based curriculum that focuses on hope, abiding, sin, the gospel, suffering, lament, repentance, faith, the fear of the Lord, humility, contentment, peace, love, joy, gratitude, and finishing with more hope!
- A group where each participant is not only attending the weekly group, but is also attending bi-weekly biblical counselling sessions with one of their group leaders (who is a biblical counsellor), and an advocate
- A group where participants are benefitting from receiving fellowship, biblical teaching, accountability, and encouragement within a weekly group setting - as well as benefiting from the personal care and the depth of ministry that is found in bi-weekly counselling sessions with advocacy.
- A group where God’s people are being increasingly equipped and encouraged to engage in a daily prayerful pursuit of abiding, repentance, and walking by faith, for their joy in God, for the joy of others in God, and for the glory of God.
I have additional questions. Who can I contact?
If you have any additional questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Soul Care Curriculum & Resources
Soul Care Group Curriculum for Fall and Winter Semesters.
Prayer meeting mini-series entitled "Counsel for the heart in the midst of a pandemic."