Church Update // March 19, 2020
Philippians 4:4-8 says, “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things”
This is a time for the compassion and generosity of the Church to come alive! Here are two practical action steps that you can take today to be the hands and feet of Jesus to those in our community.
Step One: Pray
As a church we believe that we aren’t anywhere without the Lord, so we need to pray! Here are some things you can pray for in the coming days.
- Pray for your friends, medical field workers, the vulnerable, and elderly.
- Pray for the leaders of our country, schools, and our churches.
- Pray for friends who own small businesses, are out of work, or financially struggling.
- Pray for protection over your family, your home, and your friends.
- Pray for opportunities to be the hands and feet of Jesus in your neighbourhood.
- Pray for awareness as to how you can help those around you in need.
- Pray for opportunities to share the hope of the gospel.
- Pray for discernment amongst all the decisions needing to be made.
Step Two: Neighbours Helping Neighbours
Please check in on your neighbours. Ask them how they are feeling about the coronavirus, if they have decided to limit their exposure, and would they like your help. You may be able to run an errand, pick up medication, deliver a meal, or help them get to an appointment.
Here are five ideas to help you be the CHURCH ON MISSION in your neighbourhood:
- Write a card to each neighbour on your street. Let them know you are ready to help, leave your name, address, and phone number so they can contact you. Be bold and tell them you have prayed for them!
- Sign up for the NEXTDOOR app. Many of your neighbours are already using this and it is a great way to stay connected with your neighbours to offer help, prayer, and encouragement.
- Join a Facebook “CareMongering” group like THIS one for Burlington or THIS one for Oakville. You would be amazed to see how your neighbours are already helping each other!
- Participate in the church-wide FOOD DRIVE happening this week Monday March 23 and Tuesday March 24 from 12-4pm. Pack one or two bags of non-perishable food items or start a local collection in your neighbourhood, and then drop it to church. We anticipate needing hundreds of bags of supplies over the coming weeks.
- Make care packages for your neighbours. Make colouring and crafts supply kits, or essential needs kits and deliver them door-to-door with a note of encouragement.
We will be posting many ways for you to help in the coming weeks. Check this page on our website for up-to-date information. Let’s GO Hope Oakville.